Mum whisks daughter to A&E after app mistakenly detects AirPod in her stomach

A red-faced mum has been ‘put off AirPods for life’ after mistakenly thinking her daughter had swallowed one of the wireless headphones.

Chloe Saunders, 22, was left in tears after the dash to the hospital – only for a nurse to find the missing earphone in her daughter Zara’s pyjama pocket.

The mum was at work when partner Oliver Jones noticed one of the Apple earphones was missing while the two-year-old was playing with the case.

The 22-year-old later joined the hunt and was plunged into a frenzied panic when she downloaded a tracker app that detected the 1.5in-long product was ‘inside Zara’s stomach’ fully charged.

The frantic pair called their out-of-hours doctor after the app’s ‘closeness percentage’ hit 100 when they pressed Chloe’s iPhone against Zara’s stomach.

Concerned medics feared the AirPod could ‘rupture’ inside the unfazed tot’s, so tearful Chloe rushed to nearby Wrexham Maelor Hospital’s A&E at 11.30 pm on March 29 to have Zara checked out.

She felt her worry was reaffirmed when her iPhone showed that the AirPod was ‘nearby’, confirming it had travelled with the pair to the hospital.

But a nurse checking over the tot was left in stitches after checking Zara over and feeling a bump in her pyjamas.

The medical expert burst out laughing as she pulled the AirPod from Zara’s rainbow-decorated chest pocket.

Personal assistant Chloe has since gone viral after sharing the unfortunate experience on social media.

Chloe, from Wrexham, North Wales, said: “When you’re in a panic mode you just don’t think straight. We genuinely thought there was an AirPod inside her and it could have exploded.

“While Oliver was in the toilet Zara was playing with the AirPods case, and she only had one in her hand so he tipped the room upside down looking for the other one.

“When I finished work I downloaded this tracker app and the number gets closer to 100 the closer you are. As soon as I put it to Zara’s chest it said 100 per cent.

“We moved her around and took the bedding off and it still said 100 on her. I was shaking like a leaf and crying my eyes out.

“I showed Zara the other AirPod and asked if she’d put it in her mouth but she’d just say ‘no’, ‘yeah’ and she was just running around without a care in the world so we didn’t know.

“When we rang the out of hours doctors, they were really concerned because they said the AirPods can rupture, so that worried me more and then we were out of the house so quickly.

“In the waiting room my boyfriend called me and my phone asked if I wanted to take the call from the phone or the AirPod, so we knew we had the AirPod with us.

“The nurse lifted her pyjama top and checked around and then put the top back down and as she brushed the top, she pulled out this AirPod and we both just burst out laughing. I thought we’d checked that pocket.

“I apologised for wasting her time and I just wanted to curl up in a ball and die. I went bright red. I never want to use AirPods again. I might have to buy some wired ones.”

Chloe even revealed her embarrassment spanned further than the inspection room, admitting she had to ‘escape’ the hospital without encountering any concerned visitors from the waiting room.

Chloe said: “A woman offered Zara a biscuit in the waiting room, but I said no because we didn’t want to give her anything to drink or eat, and I explained what happened and everyone was really concerned and knew what was going on.

“We were in the room for less than five minutes, so when I left I didn’t even look at anyone. I looked to the floor and just got out of the exit. When I told Ollie we didn’t even find it funny at the time, we just wanted to get home.

“When I woke up the next day I wondered if I’d dreamed that or if it’d actually happened.”

The pair live with bricklayer Oliver’s parents Janette Jones and Dave Jones, both 53, and Chloe says her boyfriend even woke his dad up to reveal their mistake when they got home at 1.30 am.

Chloe says the incident was recorded in Zara’s medical notes and says she’ll remind her daughter of it when she’s old enough – even if she does mock her parent’s mishap.

Chloe added: “I won’t let her live it down, but it’s more embarrassing for me. She’ll probably think ‘what were mum and dad doing?'”

“At least it wasn’t just me. People keep saying it’s fake on Twitter, but my friends said, if they knew us they’d realise it’s something we’d do.”

Her tweet, posted at 7.24am when she woke up after the embarrassing A&E trip has since been liked more than 175,000 times and retweeted more than 14,000 times.

It said: “Last night at 11pm we took Zara to A&E because we thought she swallowed my f**king AirPod.

“I got an AirPod tracker app so when I put it on her tummy it said 100% and could track it. Waited a pssing hour for the doctor to see her and the doctor found it in her f*king pocket.”

One nurse, called Evelyn, said: “This has made my day! Thank you for putting a smile on a very tired nurse’s face!”

Chloe replied: “The doctor who found it said the exact same.”

Another nurse said: “Oh I needed this giggle during this awful week.

“I’m a nurse, & I’ve seen plenty of loved one’s panic over something that usually has a simple explanation, but you did exactly the right thing.

“Better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to the health of anyone!”

And a parent added: “Panic makes your brain go like jelly! I’m glad she’s ok, but [it] made me laugh. Thanks for a great start to my day.”